The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - How do you deal with dirt?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Inhalation side effects would be the last of my worry's using the stuff. Did anyone spend more then a few minutes reading the hazards of the stuff lol, and i trust what the company says like i trust a sex offender out on parole lol. Just dosnt seem worth the risk to save a few bucks. Secondly from other reading the company by law dosnt have to list the real hazards to their product. It's one of those sneaky things, but whats new.

Potential Air Contaminants

According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, use of coal slag raises the possibility of the following potential air contaminants: arsenic, beryllium, amorphous silica, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, crystalline silica, lead, manganese, nickel, silver, titanium and vanadium. Particles such as lead and cadmium have been detected with coal slag use.

Neurological Effects

One contaminant listed by OSHA is lead. According to the New York State Department of Health, exposure to lead dust, such as would be present in coal slag blasting, causes several neurological side effects. Fatigue, irritability and impaired concentration all result from exposure. In addition, peripheral neuropathy, or damage to the nerves, presents itself, primarily in the feet and legs with numbness and weakness. Further exposure could lead to seizures.

Respiratory Effects

Exposure to cadmium produced by coal slag can produce pulmonary problems such as bronchitis and flu-like symptoms that evolve into lung damage. Such lung damage might be permanent if the exposure level is high enough.

Granted a lot of it would come from using the product for it's true purpose, but who knows how it is in a water environment.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/maritime/sta..._guidance.html
http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2584/