The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The New Preuss Pets [Spring 2006]
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #26
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Personally, I've found Preuss to have higher prices ever since I've gone there, when they were in Okemos.
Higher than WHAT though? What are you and other people comparing their prices TO? Other local stores that are comprable? Super chain stores like Petco or Petsmart? The internet? What excatly?

I'm sorry if I am being nosey, I have never been to the store, I am on the other side of the country, but I hear this all the time about local stores and how they are gouging people on purpose and it is really ridiculous for the most part. If I want to sell an aqualight fixture, I have to buy it from one of their distributors, just like local stores do... a distributor like Central Pet or African Northwest which is a west coast distributor. Do you know how much I pay for the fixture? About 10 percent MORE than what it sells for on the internet by Drs Foster and Smith, Pet Solutions, and Big Als. So lets say I mark it up 10 percent which after the cost of shipping leaves me with practically nothing, I am still selling 20% higher than Big Als and the rest of them. The average local pet shop wouldn't have any more buying power than I do. They are not going to buy a truck load of light fixtures. This is not theory its just plain fact.

People complain in forums like this about how local stores do not carry things like C02 systems, lighting, even substrates, and this is why. They can't match internet prices, so many stores don't even bother. Preuss seems to be trying to compete when they can

Preuss says they made a mistake and seems to be going out of their way to make it right, and yet someone still makes a crack about the "spies". Good grief.

Quote:
It seems like a lot of folks picture some sort of conspiracy among retail stores to pry open people's wallets as soon as they walk in the front door, and I can't speak for anywhere else, but I know that the Preuss folks do our best to get people their equipment, animals, plants, etc without breaking the bank... if they have to shell out a ton of money on one thing, they'll have less for the rest of the setup, which really hurts us in the long run.
Its the Walmart generation. It's hard for someone to go into an independent store now a days without making a comparison based on price.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote