The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting options for a 180 gallon
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
jestes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Lighting options for a 180 gallon

Alright guys, I've got a dilemma. I currently have two 55 gallon tanks that are planted, but I'm getting ready to move up to a 180 gallon. One of the 55's is pretty low light, but the other has a 4x54 T5HO on it, although I only run one pair at a time. I plan on combining the fish in these two into the 180, and mothballing the two 55's. My problem is that I don't know if I have what I'll need to light the 180 to a medium level, and if I do, whether LEDs would be a better option anyway.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 4x54 setup provide medium light on the 180? I know it'll only cover the middle of the tank, and thats ok, but I've never dealt with a tank this deep.

2. I'm thinking about going with LED lights anyway, so can someone give me some recommendations on manufacturers and how much light I would need? I know they'll cost more on the front end, but I like the idea of them not burning out as quickly, lower energy cost, and the fact that they only emit very specific wavelengths. I know household fluorescent lights put off a tiny amount of UV, but I don't know how much our 6700k plant lights do. Maybe it's the same insignificant amount, or maybe it's a ton more.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
jestes is offline   Reply With Quote