The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Hide my filter using coconut fiber and plants
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Hide my filter using coconut fiber and plants

Hey I am wanting some help from you guys to help me think this one idea through.

I bought some java ferns that were planted on coconut fiber that was rolled into a cylinder. The java ferns are growing beautifully on it and this gave me an idea.

You see, recently I acquired some shrimp, so I did the logical thing and zip tied some filter material over the water intake so that shrimplets wouldn't be sucked in (photo below). It has been working but it is horribly ugly and distracting as is the entire filter honestly.

So this leads me to my idea, what if I took of the filter material and added a coconut fiber layer around the whole filter and then plant the java ferns or moss on it... It would eventually fill in and look like a nice dense jungle. I added a pic of my idea below as well.

Feedback please! My only concern is that coconut fiber might be too thick around the water intake and might put a large burden on the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8289(1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	139802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tankidea.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	139810  

snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote