The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Is my EI dosing method effective/working?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafooli View Post
When you say plantbrain lol do you mean Tom Barr?
Yes. I try not to use full names online with all the security issues now. Although, his signature does have his name so...

Quote:
Also are you referring to " If the tap has consistently high NO3, say 30ppm, then you do not add KNO3, instead, use K2SO4 etc."
Exactly. KNO3 is used for nitrates (nitrogen) and part of the K+ (potassium). If nitrates in your water are already in range no need to dose it.

Quote:
So in my case if I do have high nitrates, I can just buy some K2SO4 work out how much I need to add to my 500ml solution, then carry on my EI and hopefully the plants will be getting there potassium.
That's correct

Quote:
If this is the case do I have to worry about any fish/shrimp coming to harm with K2SO4?
Not at all.

Quote:
I also forgot to ask you yesterday, I looked at the calibrating thread you linked, and for example my tank always shows 40-80ppm Nitrate its so red I cant tell which ppm it is but 80ppm sounds way to high for tap water, but if I calibrated it and tested a cup with 25ppm and the test kit shows red, its still going to be hard to determine my reading, as in theory if I tested a cup with 10ppm nitrate I could possible still get a red reading, I will certainly give it a try though and see what happens.
With API kit below 20ppm should be a brown color. If you know the water is set to 10ppm and your'e seeing red, replace the nitrate reagent. I suspect your problem is the high nitrates in your water. When the nitrates get up to 40ppm I can't tell the difference anymore. It all just seems red to me. You can "cut" the sample with 50% distilled water and double the result if it's too high to read.

Quote:
I don't know if you can recommend me any good test kits ?
I use API master kit and a few other single ones. For an accurate KH I use Salifert which has a very narrow range. Other than that I just use the inexpensive API tests. Sure you can get a bad reagent at times. That can happen with any brand.

Once you get things dialed in you really shouldn't need to test much anymore. So I wouldn't bother spending any money on expensive test kits.

Quote:
MY water report says: Nitrate 50 mg NO3/I
That's the reason all your results are red lol. As plantbrain said. Keep it simple and use K2SO4 (potassium sulfate) in lieu of the KNO3 (potassium nitrate).
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote