The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - quarantine process
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee View Post
I read your quarantine post and I see why you can have a 30+ day quarantine with very little fish death. I would love to have a ready made planted tank for QT. My only thought would be how do you sterilize the tank after QT if you have a major outbreak? I guess that would mean to dump everything out, bleach, and start again.
It's mentioned in the thread but yes, in the event of virus or other pathogen entry the plants are destroyed and the tank cleared.
The cheap substrate is pennies a pound to replace or it can be boiled and used again.
The tank, heater, filter misc hardware etc. are washed/scrubbed down with 3% hydrogen peroxide and allowed to air dry after cleaning.
Then everything is sprayed down with 70% or above rubbing alcohol maintaining a wet surface area for at least 1 minute then water rinsed and dried again.

Reload, replant with trimmings and start all over. I see this as little loss for the peace of mind.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote