The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The official EDGE thread
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #1834
ryguy76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,

I thought I'd share my new Edge that is currently cycling with some plants. I was completely underwhelmed with the stock LED lighting, so I read every page of this thread and decided to build a DIY lightbar with "superbrighleds" using an idea that another member had for the fixture. I went to home depot and bought an aluminum L channel.

Then mitre cut the aluminum with a dremel and a cutoff disc. (I remembered reading that the hood was actually not square and wider at one end. I accounted for this and made the narrower end the front, so the mitre cuts ended up being slightly wider than 90 degrees from each other. Then I used JB weld to join the 3 parts.

I bought 3/4" aluminum square bar too and cut that into three to make a lighting support/heatsink for the LED's, and JB welded those 3 pieces together and affixed the LED's with their adhesive backing. I drilled a hole to feed the LED leads into the square bar.

Then I sanded, spray painted it black and clear-coated the outer L shaped fixture.

Then, it was just a matter of welding the lightbar into the L channel fixture.

I had planned on having the Light strip hug all sides of the stock hood, but I found the light coverage is much better at the front by pulling it out a bit, and I don't hate the look, so it's staying as is now. Here's my freshly planted tank with the added DIY lightbar.

ryguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote