The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 72 Dirted Planted Project
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #45
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Week 33!

So it has been a really long time since an update. I'm kinda embarrassed of how the tank has been looking the last 10 weeks or longer and that's why I haven't done an update. Some algae started to grow (should have crossed my fingers sooner) and since then things in the tank have been on the decline. I'm not sure what type of algae it is or how to get rid of it and was kinda just hoping it would go away on its own... dumb. So now I'm asking for help and looking around to what it may be. I didn't start dosing ever and I have no clue what caused it because Iím pretty sure nothing changed when it first arose. No fish have died (thank God) so I wasn't too worried for a while, but now my plants are starting to be killed off as you can see from the pictures. (Green foxtail is all gone, along with most of the hair grass and all of the red plant-can't remember its name right now) My swords just recently (2 weeks ago) sprouted offspring and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I've ripped some off and replanted and still have a bunch (20+) just floating around on the stem.

I also think my bristle nose plecos have been eating my sword plants and that is why they seem so small. It also could be the small snails, but I pretty much wiped out there whole colony and the plants haven't changed with holes and such.

My fish on the bright side are doing great! The one pigeon blood has grown to about the size of the other 4 (which isn't saying much since I stunted all of their growth due to prolonged captivity in a 29 gallon tank). The other pigeon blood was a runt of the group and I knew he would fit in with my other discus and couldn't pass him up to be left for dead. He has grown a little but is still small compared to the others although they have accepted him into their pack.

I was saddened to find out that my LFS (local fish store) went out of business in the area 3 months ago (had been buying my blood worms and beef heart from petsmart...) and just found out this week. Now Iím left with just petsmart or a terrible local pet store that has half-filled infected fish tanks rampant and the overwhelming smell of ammonia that punches you in the face when you walk in the door, making it difficult to breath. Being a college athlete, I think that is kind of a big deal. Anyway, onto the pictures!

Please be nice about the comments, I know how bad it looks and am trying to figure out what to do to get rid of the algae and get my plants on the upside of growing again. I have been doing my weekly water changes for the past 3 months so it isn't as bad as it really looks, I hope.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	107442  

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	107450  

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	107458  

Name:	041.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	107466  

Name:	052.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	107474  

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	107482  

Name:	054.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	107490  

The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote