The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Wild caught or farmed.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Well my experience with carbon was the tanks i ran with carbon years ago the fish seemed to get hith, and the tanks i didnt never got it. A lot being the same species. All the tanks were on the same maintenance schedule, same water, all CA/SA species. I never use buffers.

At the time i had a really big batch of tapajos redhead juvies. Half the batch got hith, and split tail. I ran a lot of carbon on that tank. Uncle Ned from Uncle neds fish factory came over, and pointed it out, and explained there was a lot of discussion going on about carbon dust being the culprit. Since that day years ago i havnt ran carbon on any tank period. Never had a case of hith again.

I know a study proved carbon was the case in a saltwater fish study, but there's argument against that study for freshwater fish, cause they were salt water.
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...king-gun-found

After that article i'm almost convinced its at least one highly suspicious culprit, but i do agree with some other arguments too. It's such a mystery still which i find odd.

I also read carbon removes vitamins, and trace irons, and other minerals from the tank water too which could be a combo factor as well :-??