The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - How much should I start saving up?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #52
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
I do not see the need to go ADA.
The only brand that comes close to ADA, is ELOS (look them up if you really want to seem some pricey stuff), so it isn't even possible to compare. Rimmed tanks are also a different matter, that is like a tube TV to a HD flat screen.

I like to reward the innovators.

Quote:
ADA soil is good, but not so good that it is worth 4x the price.
What are you comparing to? You have substrate listed as $20, a 9L bag of Aquasoil is $30, you can use a 3L bag on a nano, only $14.
Sure most pay higher for shipping but not much.

Quote:
If you are putting that much money into a planted tank, then go reef.
What does that have to do with anything? Why can't freshwater enthusiast's enjoy quality innovative equipment too? Why is that limited to reefers? Why do they get all the cool new toys it seems ?

Maybe it is because alot of freshwater (American) hobbyist are stuck in the mentality to buy the cheapest thing that works.

You see, once someone has been in this hobby for sometime they no longer think of their tank as just a "fish tank" anymore, they don't mind spending the money for nice equipment, display size does not matter anymore in relation to amount spent. Well at least those who are serious about this do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
What a lot of you are missing is that the price does not matter. We are concerned with aesthetics. We are willing to pay a few extra dollars to get the best. Why get a good looking/functional tank and equipment when we can have the best looking/functional tank and equipment available.

You may be ok with the all in one kits, but I despise those ugly cheap things.
Ditto.

Like someone once said; "We are too poor to afford cheap things".
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote