The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #111
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Chad, I took a look at part of your tank journal. Lights look about 36" from substrate. Hard to estimate exact lighting, but it seems in the ballpark, and not too much.

<<Edited out stupid question, don't know what I was thinking>> I'd do a nitrate test and see if you're overfertilizing. Unmodified EI plus lots of fish, and especially when there's not much plant mass, can do this. And will cause algae in my experience once it gets into extreme excesses. Further reducing plant mass will make it worse, algae counts as plant mass, and you had some side effects to your plants - which might explain the rapid rebound.

Also, I'm concerned about your flow. The FX5 is rated optimistically at 600GPH with filter media installed, probably less with the spray bar. And most of your plants are at the bottom, farthest away from the flow. The usual guideline is to have 10X more GPH than your tanks size, or 1,250GPH, to break up the surface tension on leaves sufficiently to carry CO2. I don't see any supplemental powerheads or such, though I might have missed something.

Last edited by DarkCobra; 03-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Brain farts
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote