The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The suffering of animals, and other travesties
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xand3rh0 View Post
I suspect one of the many reasons some folks can be so passionate about the subject is animals don't have the moral failings we humans do and are therefore blameless, which means any "cruelty" shown toward them is entirely unjust.
You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
Regardless how the stress is subjectively experienced by the animal, you still have to justify purposefully subjecting it unnecessarily to stress, disease, and a premature demise.
Justify to whom, exactly? Justify to yourself? Your peers? This begs the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
Therefore the question remains, what criteria do you use to determine which species are okay to treat in such a manner, and which are not?
Exactly. Who is to say what is the standard for excellence? From a biologist's point of view, the animal would be better off in its natural habitat, for that is the standard. Or a restaurant would say that an excellent aquarium is aesthetically pleasing, regardless of the well being of its inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
The same person who rants about the inhuman treatment of an unexpectedly gifted goldfish will routinely ignore the fact that the fish they bought are part of a process which results in the death of thousands of fish every day.
Oh man, don't even get me started on consumerism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Frankly, I think some people also just like feeling the thrill of moral righteousness.
Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head.