The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting up a 25gal - please share experience
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi I read lots of things like you need X-watt per gallon, but these rule I also read falls appart on small and large tanks.

I thought a 100l tank is a large, but have learnt it is not, lol

Now the only problem I have with rules like that is that it seems non-sensical, lets say I had 50gal in a upright tank(i know small surface, but hear me out) as opposed to 50 gal in a large wide flat tank, sureley the distance that light has to cover should be taken into account, i.e. 12" or 25" from the substrate.

Anyway, I suppose what works best is to look at what works for the majority of people...

I have the 25 gal with the following flourecent
ZooMed Tropicsun F17T8/5500k/Daylight,
I guess its about 24" long (we use centimeters) It doesnt say how manny watts :< but it seems to do ok, slightly dark in places but I think its because its shorter than the tank.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3629
Picture there, i removed the stump as it was still turning water very brown, which seems to have triggered some growth in my few poor plants, that pic is about 3 weeks old, have now started dosing Tetra blackwater.

What lighting would you advise for such a setup, (I dont want to have to add CO2 yet, at best will add Hagen CO2).
Also cant realy afford to do anything other than flourecent, preferably in 1 tube as that is all the hood has clamps for even though there is more space.

I am planning to do some Java ferns in there, now that I talked the LFS owner into giving me some from his own tank.

My tank is about 3' wide, 1' front to back and 1,5' deep, 100litres

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote