The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #153
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcdcharts View Post
Hello All,

What a great thread. I have a question concerning the AH Supply T5HO Bright Lights they sell with their reflectors. On Hoppy's chart he refers to their PC fixtures and reflectors and PAR readings but no mention of their T5HO lights. I'm sure Hoppy has better things to do than test every fixture on the market....so I have 2 48" T5HO of those lights w/reflectors over a 90 gallon about 24" above the substrate and about 8" apart. I am looking for the high end of medium light. I use CO2, I just do not want to go crazy with it as I use Excel. Is this enough light or not? Are these lights on par with Catalina's line?
Someone with access to a PAR meter needs to do some testing to be sure how good those AH Supply T5HO lights are. Based on their reflector design I suspect they are comparable to the Tek or ATI lights, as far as PAR is concerned. So, I suspect each bulb would give you around 25 micromols of PAR at that distance. With the bulbs spaced 8 inches apart you would possibly get almost twice as much PAR with 2 bulbs, possibly a little less. Maybe 40-50 micromols of PAR or medium light.