The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Too much... too little... or just right?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
skaggst
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Too much... too little... or just right?

Hi, I am new to the forums, although have been reading them non-stop the last few months. I have started my first planted tank. I recently purchased a 4x54w T5H0 6700k. I have a 55 gallon tank, moderately planted in the last week or two. Most plants I have purchased are medium light, with the exception of a few Java ferns. I removed two of the 54 T5H0 bulbs. Replaced one with a Colormax 28w T5NO. I am running the 28w and one of the 54w about 10 hours on the same ballast. The other 54w I am running about 5 hours a day in cunjunction with the other lights.
I had read previously that with the T5H0, you can not count the wattage the same as the T5NO. That you need to times it by 1.37%. If this is correct, I am running 3.2 watts for 5 hours and 1.85 watts in two periods of 3 1/2 hours (Sunrise, sunset, per say). Does this keep me in the medium light range? I am prefering to not have to use C02 unless my plants are demanding it. I am dosing 1 capful of Excel daily and API leaf Zone weekly. Planning to order the Macro/Micro Dry Ferts mix this week from aquariumfertalizers.com. Does this sound like I am on the right track? I just added my upgraded light 4 days ago, and have been playing with ideas for the right amount of light. But honestly, I am kinda winging it, lol. Any advice would be great.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by skaggst; 02-26-2013 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: grammer
skaggst is offline   Reply With Quote