The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Can a needle valve upgrade be done on any regulator?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
Anthony, the blurry picture is called camera shake! Even with dirty glasses I can see what is needed to see. I did not want to use my flash. Setting up a tripod was too much of a PITA ! Sounds like the sky is falling!
A clear photo will not leave any ambiguity about your setup; this is why I initially thought the green support frame were the flying leads from the solenoid.

Quote:
I agree that the solenoid should be placed in front of the needle valve. But not for safety reasons.
I did not say the placement of the needle valve/solenoid was for safety reasons; it is more for practical reasons.

Quote:
I read some of the dangers about CO2 systems & feel they are not that valid. For 1, a check valve failure is not happening. Also , I have watched systems with no pressure either CO2 or air stones & the water never comes back down anyway. Is it possible, yes, but I have not seen water come back down & if it did the check valve would catch it.
While you may not have observed this phenomenon, it does occur. Plastic check valves can harden and become brittle with time, thus allowing water to flow back through the tubing and into the bubble counter/needle valve/solenoid.

A good inline check valve, as well as a regulator mounted check valve (i.e. directly after your needle valve (and before a mounted bubble counter, if you are using one) is ideal.

Quote:
I believe you are being too critical about the solenoid position. From an aesthetic point of view it has its advantages, & yes its a little safer, & also (harder for some people to replace the solenoid as mentioned).
If it is a little safer, why not just do it rather than taking additional risk?

Quote:
All the threads on this website & not 1 mention of people being killed or got sick.
I have never once mentioned that pressurized CO2 was dangerous, provided that the proper safety precautions are taken. You can easily vent an entire cylinder of CO2 (say, 20 pound), and will be completely fine, unless you live in an airtight room.

Quote:
You want to talk about dangerous. I think the DIY are more dangerous.
I agree with you; I have always recommended pressurized CO2 over DIY CO2.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote