The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - gate valve or ball valve on sun sun?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
don't do it. i ruined a canister filter with a ball valve.

the problem is that the canister will produce the same amount of pressure, it will wear down the seals and eventually it will either do as mine did an lose it syphon, or spray water, depending on where the weak point is.
Not sure what canister you had, or what your setup was but you can use a ball valve to control the outflow(I looked at your journal, your canister had a problem because an air leak, which will damage the motor on the canister). A canister filter relies on a constant siphon from the intake, its not going to build pressure in the canister by reducing the outflow, it simply will flow less on the intake side as well. Its like hooking up your canister to a u.v or c02 reactor, they will all limit the flow of the outflow, and no harm is done

i have had good luck with these
Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 5/8 Inch - (15.88 mm) I.D. Tubing - (1 Per Pack): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 5/8 Inch - (15.88 mm) I.D. Tubing - (1 Per Pack): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific