The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - String algae has ruined my life.
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sorry for the delay! I didn't realize there were more posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAtank View Post
did you fix the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxkitten View Post
Ditto. Did algaefix work on string algae?
Yes! It did kill it. I dosed every day for a week and it turned black starting on the 4th day, I would siphon it out as it died.

It worked good, I was impressed. I had snails in the tank a they weren't affected. Only thing I noticed though was that some of the tips of the plants were kinda stunted, but not all were affected and that was easily fixed with a trim.

It's not something I would want to use often and get overly relied on it but it worked good for me in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I have my pH at 6.0 at a KH of 2 FYI.
Same light period, likely 2x more light.

Yes, algaefix will eradicate the algae in question here.

I've not seen it NOT work yet.

Still, I've also had other tanks I've exposed my arm that had spores and threads of hair algae on it.

Some tanks got it, some did not. I noted one tank got it 2-3x, it had less CO2 than the others curiously.

Same sediment, same water, same ferts, a little less light but same type of lights, similar effects on water changes. You can prune your way out of hair algae and carefully attack and clean it out, it takes a weeks though and a lot of labor.

So back to good care and focus on the plants.

Your CO2 is not that high also.About 38 ppm.

Hair algae also prefers certain plant species.
These tend to be fine needle and fast growing weeds.
Less light can also help stop new growth of hair algae.

Which also suggest a CO2 issue.
Fast growing weeds will consume more of the CO2 than other plants and if the concentration changes during the day or much over time, then they will be the 1st to respond.

Food for thought.

So trimming the weeds more often can also help.
REALLY appreciate the response. Since the whole ordeal I have bumped the co2 way up. It definitely helped that I removed the cherry barbs since they were so finicky with it. It's now up to a little less than yellow with 4kH fluid that I just changed and tested too. (sorry, that definitely does not sound scientific at all!) Have also increased the surface agitation and the fish seem okay really.

Also, I have had this weird algae pop up on this rock almost the whole entire time I've had this setup... it just started to spread about 2 weeks ago, not bad, just more on the rocks and a few sections on the HC (that I trimmed off) and since then hasn't grown but removal of it is near impossible! It does not react to H2O2 and I can't scrub it off either!

Here is a photo:

Also: here is some pictures of my tank so you can see that it is Hair Algae free! The second picture is it after a trim.

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is online now   Reply With Quote