The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Reccomend a dog for my family
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #35
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I don't want a lazy dog, I just don't want a dog that is running full speed laps around my house knocking the kids over. I have no problem going outside and walking the dog, or throwing a ball/Frisbee/rope/etc till they cant go anymore. But at the end of the day when it's time to wind down and chill for an hour or so before bed I'd like some calm and quite.

Understand that any dog that will be larger will be big enough in it's 1st year + puppy energy to be knocking down kids. This is were training comes in. As a private trainer my biggest problem is unrealistic expectations of owners. Instant perfect dog only happens on TV. Keep in mind they edit those shows. The 2nd big problem is exercise, a big back yard is just alot of lawn to mow. The humans need to be involved. Turning the dog out to pasture doesn't work

I'll be honest I will need some instruction in training as it's been a while since I have trained one and never really had one trained well.

Watch a few google dog training video there are several methods, I follow Dr. Ian Dunbar's methods, I don't like Koehler methods. understanding the principals will help you find a trainer or school you can be happy with

I think the catalouha looks like an awesome dog, and the thought of having something capable of boar hunting is great. I have actually been looking for some property in east Tennessee to do some boar hunting in. But I don't want something extremely hard to train either. I'm still really looking at a bulldog.

Boar hunting dogs need to have the correct instincts/temperament and training starts early about 16wks without those you'll get your dog killed. Boar, bear, Cats are considered Dangerous Game for a good reason. Luckiy where you live there are plenty of Boar hunters so finding a mentor shouldn't be too hard.

Catahoulas are Bay dogs they find and hold the Boar in one place until the hunters arrive.

Bulldogs are Catchdogs they grab the Boar once it's located.

Untrained dogs do not always come home for the hunt. Appreciate the commitment, respect the boar.

Years ago I had a pure black lab who on his hind legs was over 6' and weighed in at 110lbs. To be honest it was the meanest dog I had ever had. Was never treated wrong, just very territorial. There were two people (my brothers) who didn't live in the house who could come in without the dog having to go in a cage. Over his life he put one in the hospital and bit countless others for coming in the yard or house. Yet my kids could take his food, beat him with toys, pull his ears and he would lay there and lick them all day long.

This is what a Purebreed Lad is meant to be in size & temperament

Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 22 to 24 inches; for a bitch is 21 to 23 inches. Any variance greater than inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

Temperament True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the "otter" tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized.

A dog can be purebred but not CORRECT. This were it's important to go to a responsible breeder IF you want a Correct purebred.

American Bulldogs are great breed. If you like the look and size that's a start. Educate your self on the pros & cons next. This is were you need to be very realistic and honest with yourself. An American bulldog is a molosser (mastiff) breed. They are not famous for trainability or fast response to commands.

If that's important look to the herding or field dogs.

With daily exercise they are calm in the house. Be honest about how much walking you are will into to do.

A responcible breeder studies the puppies during the 1st 8wks and they are the best one to pick the right puppy for you. That warm-fuzzy "my puppy picked me" is romantic silliness. That puppy that runs up a licked your face would mostly do that to everyone. For kids the breeder will help you find the puppies that are middle of the road temperament for that breed.

I find girl dogs to be easier to train. I'm not alone in that observation. Go to an agility or obedience completion there not a lot of male dogs to be found.

My female American Bulldog 'Bunny" was more than enough dog to proctect my home and was about 80-85#s.

After hearing more of your thoughts, you might also consider a Boxer.