The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Ludwigia grandulosa x palustris: "new" hybrid
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post

I'm a little confused, and I am just requesting a little clarity: when you say "replacements" referring to the bulbs, are you stating that the ZooMeds and StarCoats are "better" than the Giesemann's, or simply another option that I could consider. I've heard from a few other hobbyists that sincerely believe that the StarCoats are better than the Middays. I simply had such good results using the Giesemann's that I'm hesitant to switch. Your opinion would carry a bit more weight, though. Please let me know, if you happen upon this again!
Yes, they tend to have better color and the PAR is nice, they blend well with what you have. They also are cheap, so I would search and look for deals, and pick up a few extras and try them out when you think about it.

So cheaper, nicer color, but you might as well wait till you need some extras.
The GE starcoats are the brightest nice white bulbs I've used.

That said, I might only use 1-2 in an 8 bulb fixture. In a 2 bulb fixture, this white color becomes more important, but with such a large no# from the color palate...........you really do not even need a white bulb at all. I tried it and it turned out to be true, after more than 4 bulbs, you can play this game without any regular Joe Whites.