View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxkitten View Post
By Triet Do, USC School of Pharmacy
Having hydra and planaria in your shrim tank is both insightful and potentially harmful to shrimplets. I have seen a huge hydra literally attack and kill one of my baby Crystal Red Shrimps. After searching for a cure I have found and tried Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard) successfully. It’s safe for shrimps, snails, fish and plants.

Instruction

1) Purchase the cheapest Fenbendazole product (available at Petsmart)

2) Mix 1 bag (1g) with 100 mL of drinking water. Shake VIGORIOUSLY! There will always be undissolved Fenbendazole settling on the bottom. The point of shaking is to make a saturated solution of Fenbendazole.
3) You will need to save the solution in a bottle for future treatment.

Dosing

1) DOSE is 0.1 g/10 gallons every 12 hours (prefer at night).
2) Use a SYRINGE to draw 10 mL of the solution (contain 0.1 g) and inject to your 10-gallon tank. If you have a 20-gallon tank, draw 20 mL of solution and so on.

3) Dose every 12 hours until all hydra and planaria are gone. Usually after 3 doses.
4) Do a 25% water change if you feel necessary. I don’t normally do that but my shrimps are still healthy and breed fast.

I followed above directions to dose my 20L, didn't kill MTS, fire red shrimps or oto. Also on the first dose I forgot to take out the carbon and purigen. So I don't know if that helped killed them. I used it on hydras
so it looks like I can use half a bag (.5g) with 100ml and apply the same 10ml dosage for a 5.5gal (roughly). this might be better than eyeballing or trying to divide up a whole bag into 20 parts. thanks!
abc is offline   Reply With Quote