The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Beginner here. I could use your help
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_reverie View Post
Alright, my pH is around 7.6-7.8 and from what I've read Dwarf Grass does best in a little lower pH, so I'll add in some RO water which I've read will lower my pH. After doing some research I've decided I'm going to try DIY CO2. I'll find a balance between RO and CO2 for lowering my pH. I ordered the dry fert pack from aquariumfertilizers.com which is Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate and Plantex CSM+B. I'll order my plants in a few days after giving my filter and water a chance to settle. Thanks guys for the info.
You may find you don't even need the Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) and the Potassium sulfate (KSO4). In EI you are aiming to introduce N, P, and K to your water. Potassium nitrate (KNO3) contains N and K. But neither MgSO4 or KSO4 contain Phosphorous (P) so I don't know how they sell that pack. maybe I'm missing something though.

The chemicals suggested for EI are

KNO3
KH2PO4
and micro nutrients
Also KSO4 if you need more potassium.

I imagine you probably paid a lot more for your pack than if you had bought the dry chemicals. Shop around next time and you will save lots of money. (maybe even help you save for pressurised CO2 system which I got for under $200 all up)

KNO3 is used a lot in gardening. It can be bought on ebay here ($9 for 1kg). That is at least 10x cheaper (maybe more) than a comparative commercial aquarium premix liquid.

The KH2PO4 I had to get at a lab store. Look around though. Most places would have both, but I bought them separate because the KNO3 was so much cheaper. Shop around though. You don't need 99% pure when 95% is half the price IMO.
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote