The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Anyone done dog shows for a hobby?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Years ago, I tried the dog show bit. I had a doberman that did quite well in puppy matches and non point specialty shows. When it came time for his first real AKC point show, I was so excited. We got there, and the person mentoring me opened the show book and said, "We might as well pack it up." I said, "Why? I want to see these dobermans. They must be really something." She said, "Oh, I don't know what they LOOK like, but I can tell you right now, this dog will be number one, this one will place...etc." She was right on the money by just looking at kennel, judge, and handler names. There were over 41 dobermans entered.
This was in PA area back in the 80s.

Needless to say, I then entered my dog in obedience, which seemed a fairer game. Then bagged the whole show scene all together. The money and time going towards the shows was put towards weekend camping trips with my dog. The mental photos I have of him standing in a morning dew covered meadow in the poconos mountains, and his happy-dappy dobie face there are far more enriching than any show photo. And was less stress on the both of us.

I have had 3 grooming shops, vet tech, painted trophies for various animal shows, and been a vendor for many. I groomed many a pet for show. It takes a big chunk of time and money and can be an obsession that makes aquarium enthusiam look like a drop in the...er...tank. It's kinda like adopting a new life style. Get your feet wet slowly.

Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote