The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - HD Blazingwolf's 75G Rainbow. New pics page 8
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: HD Blazingwolf's 75G build-DIY stand.. Way Too Tall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
after doing much reading
the durso is a *savv* a *balm* for a much larger issue.. it actually comes down to drain pipe sizing according to a lot of research alst night. the reefers are for sure experts on sumps and quiteness since they deal with much amounts of flow and almost every one of them has one

drain piping needs to be much larger so it would seem. a 1 inch drain line apparently can only handle 300 gph gravity siphon SAFELY.. what happens is surging where the siphon is constantly pulling air and will sometimes as you may have experienced, surge as a stronger siphon is started. so either a full siphon is needed. OR a larger drain line. the general recommendation is a 1.5 inch drain line which should handle 750 gph. and shooting for about 500-550 i think.. its a lot harder to measure on this tank
Should just go my route add a second bulkhead as the overflow / emergency and the bottom drain full siphon dialed back enough to have some water drain into the secondary

Very quick crude drawing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote