The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Out with the old (setup) and in with the new 220 gallon UPDATED 3-20-13
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdood25 View Post
Question I do have is, we want to add a bunch more plants but we need ones that grow by edge of water where the root system are always wet and can stand high humidity. Where are other good places to order from? Something with color and maybe flowers?
If you aren't looking for something specific, just head over to a nursery/greenhouse, or even Lowes/Home Depot. Pothos is a classic, most of the ivy varieties (houseplant type) will do well, and I've also used creeping fig (may not do well *in* the water to start, but will eventually put roots into it). Peace lilies do well in wet/swampy conditions. while it won't do great at the water level, rabbit's foot fern will grow pretty well over wood/rocks. If you see something you like, give it a try, a lot of the common houseplants are pretty durable. though, anything touching the water is going to end up as turtle snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdood25 View Post
Still need to figure out if I am going to do screen tops or glass. The humidity and temps are actually OK with it being open at the top, so may just do the screen as I already built 3 frames that fit perfectly in between the braces, and depends on how that works out I may install a intake and exhaust fan.
I'd just make sure there isn't anything immediately nearby that could be harmed (warp, delaminate, mold/mildew, etc.) by the humidity from the tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote