The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - algae in filter (mini bow)
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Aside
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default algae in filter (mini bow)

I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow with a 10 watt light. I have it on my desk in my dorm and everything up until this point has been running fine.

I had a family emergency this weekend and had to fly home. I set up a timer so the light was supposed to go on and off every twelve hours. But I don't think it worked so I believe the tank has been lit for the past four days.

The majority of the tank looks okay. There doesn't seem to be much algae until I looked at the filter. The filter pad is completely covered in what appears to be three or four different types of algae. I can't even see the filter itself.

What is the best way of dealing with this? Just chuck the pad and replace it? I just ordered a replacement but it will take a few days to come.

The filter is in direct line of the light so how can I stop this from happening again.

The occupants of the tank are a betta and two amanos. They can't reach the filter. Could I maybe throw a snail into the tank? Would it be able to graze on the filter? Or am I just going to need to be constantly replacing the media. It shouldn't happen as fast if timer doesn't malfunction again but I imagine it will still be building up?

This is the first appearance of algae in m tank so I don't really know what to do.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote