The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Any one breeding COP Dwarf Mexican Crayfish?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Been there, done that, doing it now

Got about 6 females and 2 males in different areas...mostly in breeder boxes (1 each) 2 females are in my planted tank, 1 in my tiger tank, and both males have their own boxes.

Too small yet to breed, tried it the other day (male/female had just molted) they ignored one another I think the male wasn't mature enough, so they are just happily living in their own houses right now till they grow up a bit.

I raised 2 successful batches of babies. I put the mamma in a breeders box/or 2.5 gallon tank till she dropped them, then took her out right away as females will eat their young if they can find them.

I put enough moss/cholla wood in the tank that the babies could barely move around or it took them ages to get anywhere (this way they didn't see one another as everyone picked a spot) I had 15 babies in this tank and kept them all there until they were about 1/2 in size, then separated them to other tanks to help them grow more before I sold them.

I fed them earthworm powder/bioplus or golden pearls(decap brine shrimp) then as they grew I squished up pond snails for them to eat the meat (helps them grow as its protein) then later on crayfish food/algae wafers.

Changed the water 2 times a week to make sure it was kept clean, and syphoned up any dirt/leftover food on the bottom.

Be careful when you introduce the male to the female because females often are bigger and will kill a male. I always watch them together when I first put them in, if nothing happens in an hour or two I take the male back out.

Most LFS sell females more than males, so the males are the ones you want to keep alive, you can always get females....especially on aquabid.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote