The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Office Nano: 3 Gallon Iwagumi
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

So the Zoo Med filter came last week. I don't need it for another month, but I figured I'd play around with it. It's rated to 79 GPH, but everybody says that's not even close and that it's only good for < 5 gallon tanks. That's what I was hoping for because 79 GPH in this thing would be a whirlpool.

I ran a whole bunch of tests on it and discovered that mine will pump a "real world 32" gallons per hour when it filled with it's provided media and sponge, plus 1 additional cut to size AquaClear sponge, and using 40" worth of 5/16" hose on both the intake and output. That's plenty of flow for this little nano tank, and will turn over the water 10x per hour. I'm happy with the test results.

I tested further because I want to mount the canister filter under my desk. Lots of google searching speculated it won't work well, but in my real tests it didn't matter if it was at the same height as the tank, 18" lower, or even 3 feet lower. It still pumps water at the same 32 GPH rate at any height.

We'll see how it does as it gets gunked up, but preliminary tests are good for use on my little project here.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote