The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - setting up a 29G planted newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
wutang61
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
I know of people who have successfully used the Marineland "double-bright" LED systems in planted tanks up to about 60 gals. So it certainly can be effective lighting in a 29 gal.

One thing I am wondering- why do you want the lunar nighttime lighting? If you want the LED, they can provide adequate daytime light.

I also would suggest not getting a hood with a built-in light for a second reason: If you should want to raise the lights higher up from the surface of the water, that is not an option with hoods with built-in lights. I like the separate light fixtures because they give you more options for controlling your lighting. Now, granted, the hood with built-in light that you posted has such a low level of light, it is unlikely you would ever need to raise it to decrease your light intensity, but I am just pointing out one of the disadvantages of that style of light fixture.
I have the lunar light feature on my 10 gallon. And it's awesome at night.

So it's something that I would want to bring to a larger tank. The double bright led system is still an option for me. But I would have the light on a timer and this would completely turn the unit off and make the night mode unusable. So buying 2 of the accent lights to keep in a permanent night function pushes the cost to near the price of the plant capable system and I wouldn't have to buy a timer or have extra cords running from the tank.

Amazon has the reef version of light for under 200 bucks. Hopefully they will get the plant version soon. As it should be even cheaper

Sent from my toaster with the 4g's and the wifis
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote