The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY Aquarium Touchscreen Controller
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #126
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
the hardware aspect is hellishly confusing to me, because I've never gotten this far into components. I can put together a PC no problem...

is the relay board an electrical relay?
The relay board is just an electrical switch that controls a mains line. When a 5V signal is sent to it, it will open. You can get the standard mechanical relays, or the more expensive solid state ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
That RTC chip looks pretty cool, DarkBlade, thanks for pointing that out!

Is that pH probe the same as e Bay item 170752579436? I've been thinking about snagging it but dont know if it's any good. Are pH probes a "you get what you pay for" kinda thing? Also, what board are you connecting the probe to?
I personally like the DS3231 chip, since the DS1307 does seem to drift. The libraries are interchangeable, so there is no extra work involved.

I just got my pH probe locally; cost me $15. The one I am using seems to work fine. I am connecting the probe to a pH meter breakout board; there are lots out there. I got this one from a friend who had a spare. You can build your own for ~$10-15, and save some money, though (I was going to go this route).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote