The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Purigen mistake!
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #32
andygold
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Now that you've posted pics, andygold - something is definitely not right.
You said the Purigen was bought new and that it was brown from the beginning - i.e. before any use whatsoever.
Unused/new Seachem Purigen comes in a fine mesh bag, or loose Purigen beads in a 250 ml jar, and is white, not brown. It gets brown after fairly lengthy usage in a filter, but returns to it's original white color after re-charging.
The pic you showed appears to contain product in an impermeable plastic-type bag - (like a re-sealable zip-lock type bag) - the water would not seem to flow through that for the Purigen to work. That's why you said it was still dry after the bottom of the bag sat in water. Purigen comes in a fine mesh bag that allows water to flow through it.

So something seems amiss here - what kind of bag is that exactly ?
No Purigen I've ever seen or bought comes in a bag like that.
If I'm right about the type of bag, and my eyes are not deceiving me, that product you got is not Seachem Purigen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merth View Post
The mesh bag full of powder is packaged inside of a sealed plastic bag but yes it is white when new.
The pic of the bag by itself, the second one down...it's actually sitting in a zip-lock in that pic. In the pic of the tank, it is out of the zip-lock.

When first pulled out of the box, the mesh bag was sealed inside a plastic bag that was heat sealed closed. The color of the product was a slight off-white, similar to the color of old computer cases (slightly almond colored). It was the proper color as I've seen, from looking at the jars in the LFS. The colors in that second pic came from around 1 hour in my tank. That color would be most similar to a reddish, clay brick. when i said that the product was still dry...after rinsing it and taking it out from under the water flow, the resin did not hold onto any liquid, upon shaking it, next to no water dripped from the bag. Basically, it was not holding onto the water, it let it all drain out completely.

Well, after this little 5-minute test, besides everyone floating at the top, almost all the females gave birth. There are babies everywhere. I just did a 1 gallon water change to remove anything toxic in the water. While siphoning 1/2 the gravel I picked up close to a dozen babies.

I checked for chlorine in the tank's water before performing the water change, and there was none that registered.

I registered over at Seachem to post on their forum, but it seems they OK registrations on the weekends but don't allow new members to post until they check them out (only on weekdays), so I'll have to wait a few days to post over there.
andygold is offline   Reply With Quote