The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The *BEST* (Tom Barr's) low-tech start-up tank method. Easy to read beginner's guide!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
You are very welcome. I'm glad it's helped you and your friends

That leads me to another question Hoppy...do you have a list of plants that work well with the DSM? I checked Tom's website forum thread where he had originally started the discussion (and in which I had posted my results a few years back), but I was disappointed to note that there hasn't really been any more updates/discussions on that thread. Has DSM gotten more popular since then and are there any resources/threads with a list of plants, or is it scattered about on a smattering of forum threads?

After having gone the DSM way with my hairgrass foreground on my first tank, I don't think I'd go any other way when starting a planted tank. The only difficult part is having the patience and discipline to wait it out while your plants establish themselves and take root and start multiplying. The additional benefits of having nitrogen fixing bacteria established via this method is also really nice because you don't then have to worry as much about ammonia and nitrites due to (1) the presence of these bacteria via DSM and (2) Due to your already well established plants due to DSM that will be quick to take up any ammonia/nitrites in the water column.
I, too, have been looking for some kind of list of "dry startable" plants. The only ones I can recall reading about that work well with a dry start are carpet plants, like HC, glosso (which I tried with some success), dwarf hairgrass, and another one I can't recall the name of. But, none of those are great low light, non-CO2 plants. There are mosses that can do well as carpets in low tech tanks, but they aren't dry start plants.