The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - planted cycling - how much how long?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
2 Groceries stores only had mixed. Home hardware was sold out. home depot didnt have any

Ill add a few more plants in thee back, a few more days of feeding the tank fish food (unless i find ammonia) then hopefully its good to try breeding in

Should i be doing water changes on the tank as it cycling or just leave it?
Ok, if you have enough plants and they're growing, they will more than handle the ammonia/nitrites and when you measure zero on ammonia and nitrites you can put in your fish, as long as you don't put in too many and as long as the nitrates are under 20 ppm, or do a big water change (suggestion: 50%). Additional plants should be fast-growing stem plants with enough light.

If you want to take a more traditional route with the traditional cycle time, do the fish food, but don't put in too much and check it with your ammonia test. For our purposes ammonia and fish food are interchangeable. Ammonia can be substituted at any time, because the fish food decaying results in ammonia anyway.

You shouldn't do any water changes until the tank is cycled -same goes for cleaning the filter.

You absolutely have to wait until nitrites are zero before adding fish. This will happen sooner with the plant cycle and later with fish food or ammonia. Keep me in the loop.

Steven
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Silent Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote