The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Stocking Help 180 Gallon (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #102
Perchance
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if those bulbs are T5HO your over driving your tank and not dosing the other legs of the stool to keep things in balance. The liquid ferts and "liquid carbon" are not enough so algae gains an edge. With that much light you really need to have injected co2 and a comprehensive NPK fertilizing regimen. I would highly suggest you take a look into the fertilizer area of the forum and read up a little bit. The hair algae is not that bad of an algae to get rid of. Get the tank in balance and it will fade on its own. You can suck it off the plants in the mean time, or use something like algaefix (if you do not have any invertebrates in the tank) Tom Barr has done a pretty good job destroying the myth that phosphates promote algae growth, in fact it is a necessary fertilizer and can keep algae like green spot at bay. Everything in the tank must be in balance of algae has a chance at breaking though.

How is liquid carbon not as useful as pressurized carbon? If I'm adding enough liquid carbon, will it still be too little..? That doesn't make sense to me, but I'm sure someone has some facts about how well plants use liquid vs pressurized carbon.

The algae is actually going away at this point? I've been spot treating a little with the liquid carbon. Could it be more new tank type outburst?

The liquid fert is " chelated trace elements, nitrogen and potassium" but no phosphate. Which is rellied on from fish food and waste. I plan on adding iron, as well. So is this not really doing much? I can fairly easily access specific other elements but really just want it to be easy.

There are only 4 day bulbs, though? Will the blue lights actually add much consumable light for plants and algae? I don't know. I'll still minimize the light period and raise the lights. The algae isn't so bad at the moment though...

Thanks for the opinion, I'll look up some threads on the fertilizer area of the forum. Injected co2, however, is fairly impossible at this point... Definitely in the future, just not atm.
Perchance is offline   Reply With Quote