The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Squirrel skeleton in tank?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #42
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

No, sorry, no pics, as I haven't been able to get a sealant for the bones. The brush-on superglue turned out to be solid all the way through the bottle...
@lochaber, we're pretty much in a suburban area, and I do know a taxidermist place that's pretty close to us. I'm definitely looking for decently clean roadkill... I saw a dead hog, but the highway department may have taken that. Hmm, maybe I should call them...
We're in Central Texas, so no beaches, and the one that's a few hours' drive from here is unfortunatey stripped clean of most non-living cool stuff.
I found part of a huge dead bird, maybe hawk, near a park in November... I was poking around in a patch of trees with a few friends, and we started finding all these shredded hawk feathers. Then we found the bones from a hawk's wing. It had been snapped jaggedly off at the shoulder, but was holding together really well. We also found the other wing and a leg with a mostly intact foot. I only have one wing, as two other teens got the leg and other wing.
I've cleaned my few skeletons by wrapping them in mesh and burying them in the garden with a few flat rocks on top. Our neighborhood has a lot of stray cats/raccoons/possums/the like.
I have pretty much the entire skeleton, minus some paw bones and the atlas (first vertebrae), so I think it'd be kind of a shame to only use a few bones. I've figured out something that I think will look pretty good...
I'd use this raccoon skeleton I assembled awhile ago (tied for first place at the science fair with it!), but it's fully assembled and I don't think I could dissasemble it.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote