The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Turtle Got To The Plants!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Default Turtle Got To The Plants!!!

So, I had red mangrove (freshwater acclimated), leather fern, Joseph's coat and Ruellia growing in planters in my turtle (one Mississippi Map, and one Northern Red Bellied Cooter) aquarium. The mississipp map turtle could care less about eating plants, but the Northern red bellied cooter loves plants.
I thought they were out of reach, I thought she couldn't get to them, and she didn't for a while.
But somehow she figured it out! She is smart and never does it when I'm around, but she ate the Joseph's coat and tore up the leather fern. The mangrove and ruellia grow up and out of reach.

So, any thoughts on how I could keep her out of the planters? Any suggestions on other plants that will stay out of her reach or plants that may taste bad to her (but are still safe if eaten)? She does not dig in the planters, but just snatches the leaves, she has never pulled a plant out of the gravel.

See my turtles here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...1&postcount=23
I'm going to make them an indoor pond soon, for now, they are in a tank. Once I move them, my baby Red Eared Sliders will move into the tank.