The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - feeding peas to fish
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question feeding peas to fish

I know there are many posts on this, but I was hoping I could get a few quick answers & save the time hunting the posts down...

I want to introduce much more veggie matter to my fish - 90% of which are various tetras (larger tetras, like Buenos Aries and Columbians). Sadly, the poor things rarely get any veggies, as I feed Tetra Crisps and Hikari Bloodworms, and Tetra Spirulina flakes when I remember to buy them. I actually thought I was helping them by feeding bloodworms 3 - 4 days a week, not realizing that so much protein was hard on them, and the water quality.

Some of the fish like the zucchini I offer, some don't. Tonight I tried peas. Wow! I admit I used canned peas because that's what I was going to cook (no sodium added) but I usually buy frozen peas. As a matter of fact this was the first can of peas I've bought in years - lol. I imagine they (canned) are not so healthy for fish. Anyhow, they went nuts for it. I only squeezed out 4 peas for a 125 tankful of fish, then 2 peas for some tiger and rosy barbs & celebes rainbows in a 29. I was worried that too much of a new thing - or the fact that they were canned peas - might be rough on them. But since they loved them so much, I'm wondering how often is it ok to feed peas to fish? A youtube vid has a guy that feeds peas every other day. I was thinking maybe every 3rd day? Can I use it like regular food, and give them as much as they completely consume in a minute or two? Next; I try spinach! lol

Thanks!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote