The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - the holy trinity?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
Carrots, onions, and celery are a mire poix.

the holy trinity is green peppers, onions, and celery. (at least if you come from Louisiana)
Quote:
In different types of cuisines, exist what are referred to as the "Holy Trinities". In one type of Italian cooking, the trinity is onions, carrots, and celery. So I used this to make a simple quinoa salad. I look forward to experimenting with other cuisine's trinities in the near future and will share those as well.
Quote:
Soffritto

• The French call it mirepoix; Americans call it the holy trinity; the Spanish call it sofrito; and Italians call it soffritto. The term literally means to fry something at a low heat for a short time. It is used to describe sauteed vegetables used as a base for a sauce. While there are variations, the vegetables usually used to prepare soffritto are celery (sedano in Italian), onion (cipolla) and carrot (carota).

Since I am Italian that's how I roll. And it varies by region an type of cooking. Another holy trinity is tomato basil garlic.

For your lighting. Start with a shorter time and work up the length. The plants will let you know without getting inundated with algae which can be a pain to get rid of.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote