The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Which marineland led
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I have both a double-bright strip and the new "planted tank" fixture or whatever they are calling it.

I am working on hanging my fixtures and took PAR readings this weekend. The planted tank fixture was easily into high-light at 24 inches above substrate and will grow you plenty of algea in a low-tech setting.

A double-bright would be more suitable for low-light. I have only used these on a rectangular tank yet and cannot speak on that issue.I haven't used a finnex fixture yet, but they seem to be well review, and I would like to check one out.

The marinelands, when perched on the tank instead of hung higher, do seem to cause some spot-light effect. Otherwise, I am a huge fan of LEDs after using flourescents. I have a small DIY LED set up for a 10g using strips of lots of smaller LEDs. I like the even coverage this provides, and as a result, might lean towards the finnex fixtures in the future.

Last edited by wheatiesl337; 01-08-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: i have a rectangular tank, not square
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote