The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - CO2 sparks thread/string algae explosion
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
DeadlyMuffin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I wish you luck, but you would be probably the first that reduced the co2 duration to only part of the light duration and solved their algae woes. It just doesn't work that way and I've been doing this a long time. Good, healthy growing plants will out compete algae all the time as long as there is enough of them. Tanks with high-light and no co2 become algae farms sooner or later. When something is in short supply in this case co2, the plants won't grow as well and algae has no problem in that environment.
I have the lights and the CO2 on the same timer, to avoid PH drops at night when plants aren't photosynthesizing. It's easy to change though. That's why I said light/co2 cycle, it's the same thing currently.

I'm fine with bringing the CO2 back up and reducing the photo-period, but if the point is to have the plants outcompete the algae maybe the solution is to leave the lights, and the high CO2 and simply add more plants.

I'm sorry if I come across as resistant to reducing light, this is the first planted tank I've tried after many years of reef tanks. I'm used to more light always being a positive.

Last edited by DeadlyMuffin; 01-07-2013 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: typo again...
DeadlyMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote