Thread: Newt Tank Build
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #92
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
that looks awesome Jake. Nce job!!! what's the treelike plant in the center/right?
Thanks Bill. Already running into issues of course, just like any new build. The tree is a ficus. I really like the look of it and hope I can make it work. Unfortunately water seems to be wicking up the coco fiber and titebond mixture and into the ficus pot. Its a soggy mess. The pot was dry as a bone when I filled the tank before potting so I know its not leaking in any way. The ficus seems to be doing fine but I imagine if the soil stays boggy, I will lose it soon enough. NOt sure what to do, I lowered the water level a bit but I can still see wet coco fibers all the way to the rim of the ficus' pot.

I also lost the ferns. With cold water the humidity is average at best and the acclimation just didnt go well. I took them out to acclimate them in a different spot. I replaced them with something else I had laying around. Doesnt look nearly as good but I will try and find some more ferns this spring. I also lost the hygro in the water section, replaced them with an anubias plant and another crypt.

Newts seem really happy in their new home!
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote