The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - ADA Mini M: Iwagumi (56K)
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #75
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Time for some updates:

After 4 weeks, growths in this tank is slower than I expected. The foreground is still not fully covered by the HC. Compared to my previous layout, the HC successfully covered my foreground in just 3weeks. At first I thought the problem is my lighting because the bulb I'm using is already more than 1year old so I added extra 20W 6500K screw bulb.

But still the HC did not show any improved growth rate. Then I observed that many new shoots emerged from the soil but not many visible new runners growing on top of the soil.

After I looked carefully, I realized that the shrimps actually moved the soil pellets around and the HC become buried beneath the soil that is why less visible HC growth. I sucked up the soil covering the HC every day and now more growth is observed. So hopefully in 2 weeks the foreground is fully covered by HC.

I'm planning to switch the stargrass at the back using plants with smaller leaves. Maybe Rotala rotundifolia or Didiplis diandra. I don't really like the stargrass because the leaves size is to big for this small iwagumi. Ludwigia arcuata looks good currently but man, this plant is also a slow grower. haha (I want everything fast!).

Other updates:
-added 5 juvenile guppies from my other tank. 1 already died. jumper.
-no longer using the lily pipes because of difficulties during maintenance. Much easier to use current set up.
-the odd colored stone has been removed. Thank you for your advices. but I can't find suitable stones to replace it..hmm..
-Started dosing 1ml Seachem Potassium, 0.5ml Seachem Iron, 0.5ml Seachem Fluorish for every 2days and 1ml Excel daily.
-CO2 set up at 2bps.
-Lighting period for 8hours.

Other photos:

Thank you for looking! Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Regards.
ad3hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote