The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Sejoy's Wabi Kusa "Ball of Zen" (56k)
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
sejoy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wink Sejoy's Wabi Kusa "Ball of Zen" (56k)

Hello TPT!~
Thought I'd make a journal to track the progress of my little wabi kusa setup.

This is my "Zen ball". I'm in my first year of university and I wanted something nice to look at to brighten up my grugly dorm room. I spend at lot of time at my desk, so I wanted something small enough to keep the area workable, but still eye-catching. I'm studying as a BFA (bachelor of fine arts) major with a minor in East Asian studies/Japanese language.

As far as the "Zen" side of this project, I like the idea of having a daily routine of immersing myself in the project. What I mean is that every day I will take a few minutes out of whatever is going on to sit, observe the setup, and perform routine checks or maintenance like trimming, adjusting water level, picking dead leaves, or just noticing it's progress. I find myself entering a sort of meditative state when observing my tanks, as I'm sure many of us do. Fish or no fish, water is captivating and relaxing to look at, and I think this is a perfect way for me to take a few moments to relax, decompress, or get inspired by this piece. Natural elements inspire much of my artwork, and having something in my own space that encompasses air, water, and earth is really exiting!

On to the setup!

First day:

and from the side:

Some growth!

Latest:

While I've been lurking here on and off for quite a while, I don't have much successful experience with aquatic plants, so any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks for looking

Last edited by sejoy; 01-07-2013 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: Pictures!
sejoy is offline   Reply With Quote