The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Fruit fly culture media nutrition
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hi Mordalphus. Thanks for the input on Superfly. I hear great things about all Repashy products. The list of ingredients for Superfly is crazy awesome! (see below). Probably better than what I eat, LOL! The nixtimal made me laugh because I know how hard that is to DIY. The price isn't bad either. We just always seem to have a banana or 2 getting old, an old half-empty jar of applesauce in the fridge. I just put them in the freezer until I'm ready to make more medium. You're right though, it is more work. Back in my 'zoo days' when money was not an issue, not only didn't we make our own medium, we didn't even make our own cultures, just bought new ones as we needed them. Those Ed's Flymeat cultures (you probably know them in WA) would rage forever. Good times. I've heard people recommend the bean beetles before, but we keep so many dried beans in the house for our own use, I'm afraid the beetles would get out and take over! Wife still hasn't forgiven me for the great waxworm escape of '98...they ate books, carpet, curtains, anything and everything, LOL!

Superfly INGREDIENTS: Potato Granules, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fructose, Nixtamal, Dried Nopal, Dried Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Cinnamon, Dried Krill, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Malic Acid, Guar Gum, Calcium Propionate, Methylparaben and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote