The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - What can I drop inside a tank to kill all invertebrates?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #29
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Lol, it doesn't seem like anyone besides hedge and i have dealt with scuds before. These guys are like to cockroaches of the shrimp world. Netted and even scooped up all the gravel in a tank and still have nearly a hundred in the bare bottom tank two weeks later. I refused to do a tank teardown due to a CBS so near to term.

You all my be after the shrimp in the tank but you are playing with fire trying to net them in a scud infested tank. Adult scuds will outrun most fish so don't think that is a viable fall back plan. The only way fish could be effective is you place a betta, (plakats make proficient hunters due to their short fins) in a 2.5 gallon tank. Anything larger would give the fish a run for their money and give up. Various small cichlids may work but again the adults burrow quicker than anything so a sandy substrate would be an alternative. Just fair warning as so many people are so quick to jump on the idea of netting. Just the accidental two or three that hitchhike into you tank will provide over a hundred scuds in a few short weeks.