The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Best Pre-filter for HOB
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Fluval Edge pre-filters are some of the best in the business. They are very fine mesh, and pick up more particulate out of the water column, and more quickly, than any other pre-filter I've ever used.

IMHO, the reason people complain about them getting clogged easily is because they don't know how to use them properly, to obtain peak efficiency out of them.

These pre-filters do the job so well that they need to be rinsed frequently.
Many people leave them on without touching them for many days, and even weeks - so of course they're going to get clogged up badly, quickly !

You need to remove them and rinse them well, vigorously, at least twice a week to get the best performance out of them.
I do mine evety 2 or 3 days, at most, and my water is crystal clear all the time.

Not only that, but they keep all of the media in your filters particularly clean and free of 'crud', so that you need to rinse/clean/exchange that media far less often than would normally be the case.

That's my take - try it, they work like gangbusters.

This is why I hate them. I have a filter to get rid of particulate matter. I use a pre-filter to keep large debris and shrimp out of my filter. I think the fluvals are garbage because they need to be cleaned and replaced frequently. I can leave the zoo med on for months with little loss of flow.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote