The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - aquarium stand in raw industrial style
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #181
golfer_d
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am wanting to build a stand like this but the local Home Depot does not carry the connectors for the 4 x 4 just the 2 x 4 corner connector. I could order the bench making kit online to get the 4 x 4 connectors but with shipping etc to Canada it would be around $75.

I have a 10 gallon tank (standard starter) that I want to place on it at one end and then possibly a smaller shrimp bowl at the other end (total length of the stand about 32" and a depth of about 12 to 14"). This idea kind of defeats the purpose of the weight being focused on the corner beams so I am not sure if I should do that or just stick with the dimensions of the tank for size.

I notice AnotherHobby used braces in the middle along with a top piece for a 12 gallon so would I be able to do something similar even though I would only be using say 2 x 4 as my corner posts? Seems all the weight would then be on the top and the middle brackets? I am not sure how weight gets deflected down which is why I am asking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote