The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Please help picking LED fixture for 180 gal
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonass View Post
Hi everybody! I've been lurking here for a while, reading everything I can in preparation to make the jump from PCs to LEDs. I have a 180 gallon (72x24x24) all native Florida tank that I'm pretty sure is under-lit for the plants I want to grow. I once had six 96 watt power compacts from AHSupply that did the job. I'm now down to two and my wife will no longer allow me to purchase bulbs. I want enough light to keep Micrantheum on the bottom and keep Ludwigia and Cabomba red. I was recommended this kit: http://shop.stevesleds.com/SPS-Grade...-Kit-64-84.htm, which comes with 84 Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs. I plan to install the LEDs in a canopy 6 inches above the surface.

Is this overkill? Could I get by with fewer LEDs? My tank is low tech right now, but I may consider injecting CO2 in the future.

Also, could I get some recommendations on what LED colors and ratios to use?

Please help me out here. I'm so tired of watching my stem plants shoot to the surface.
Hi coonass,

Since you are familiar with the AH Supply PC kits did you check out their new LED lamp arrays?

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote