So over the past few weeks, I have been working on my first planted tank. I have started a few threads about it looking for help/comments - and everyone has been very helpful. Now that it is up and running, I wanted to compile it to a single thread that I can post with updates.
The driftwood piece is two pieces of mazanita/ghostwood joined together. Here was the initial picture of the driftwood placed in the tank.
The tank is on a Brooklyn metal style stand from Petco that I got during the Black Friday 50% off sale. The light is a Finnex FugeRay 20" suspended from shelving brackets by black metal chain. Filter - Fluval 106 (also 50% during Petco Black Friday Sale). Calaqua Nano Lilly Pipes. Hydor inline 200W heater.
I played with several versions of the rockscape to complement the driftwood. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the final rockscape before I flooded the tank - but here is a shot from the side to give you a feel of the depth I tried to achieve in the tank (subtle rise in the back).
I planted the tank over the weekend.
Soil - ADA Power Sand, Aquasoil Amazonia Powder, some Tahitian moon sand (to break up the homogenous color of the Aquasoil)
No CO2. Excel dosing. Root tabs.
The plant list is as follows:
Hygrophila species 'Araguaia'
Rotala sp. 'Bangladesh'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia', Willow Leaf
Java fern - narrow leaf
Attached to driftwood:
Anubias barteri nana
Anubias barteri petite
Mini Xmas moss
Crypt retrospiralis (back right corner - the leaves melted - hoping it will make a come back)
Anarachis (Sp. not known)
Phyllanthus fluitans, Red Root Floater
Fauna list (Myanmar biotope-ish):
Yunnanilus sp. (Burmese Rosy Loach - AKA Tuberoschistura arakanensis)
Neocaridina heteropoda Wild type
Date - 12/10/12