The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Type of algae UV Sterilization deals with...
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Wheely34
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Type of algae UV Sterilization deals with...

I'm looking to incorporate UV sterilization into my 45 gallon, but I wanted to know exactly what kinds of algae it kills. I don't have too much of an algae problem other than just needing to scrub a very thin layer off the glass every week and a half to two weeks. It is more of just a disease preventative and a gift idea for my girlfriend for the up coming holidays..and if it can manage to make my water even clearer than it already is, than all the better.

The reason I am questioning the algae, and I'm not sure if this is something I should even be worrying about, is because I have a Pleco in the tank. As of now, it seems my tank propagates just enough to not be a nuisance but enough to provide adequate food for the pleco.

The tank is a tiger barb community tank and they are just ravenous when it's feeding time, so getting the pleco an alternate source of food is next to impossible. Either way, he's been in the tank for about a year now and is perfectly healthy, so food mustn't be an issue...however, I don't want it to become an issue if I run a UV sterilizer. Is this something I should be worrying about?
*Barb species tank
Wheely34 is offline   Reply With Quote